Saturday, May 16, 2009

Critter window ie... open invitation

Gail came in to fluff the owl window . The owls have been flying out the door (hee hee). It became the all inclusive "Critter Window"

Around 5:3o, I hear some glass clinking in the back of the shop. As far as I know I am alone. I click the refresh button on my email one more time, and come out from behind the counter to investigate. To my shock and surprise I am toe to toe with a squirrel! Her partner in crime is skidding around the corner, and out of back of the shop. This is followed by a crashing sound. Then these two casually make their way to the front (just browsing I guess). I am just standing in disbelief contemplating how you get two squirrels out of a chotchkie shop???? I decide first I will make a move for the camera. When I relocate the squirrels, one of them is literally in the "Critter Window"! Before I could get a good shot she had sprung up onto the vintage linens. A brooch for sis perhaps? After a little photo shoot we make our way to the door and say our goodbye's. Just a little end of day entertainment right?

I am straightening the shop and checking for accidents..... whoops! ANOTHER SQUIRREL! Her instict apparently screamed "Jump in this pink pot!" I just had to take some more pics, these gals were very obliging models.
I then tried to shoo her out (using a kitchen utensil that screamed squirrel shoo-er) and nothing. She clearly was not leaving without the pot (Um we're closing miss ;) Terrified, I pick up the pot, and willed this terrified squirrel to stay put. "Please don't launch rabidly out of the pot at my face." I say. "I don't think either of us will survive that." I think we came to an understanding this squirrel and I. She was released back into the wild (parking lot) where her pals were waiting expectantly.

Suffice it to say it was a very fun way to end the day. I still crack up thinking about it. No rabies shots, no broken pots, dishes, or soiled linens. You know what they say about leaving the door open. Anyone could just waltz in.....or anything.










3 comments:

  1. Love the story and the photos...you should get the award for fast thinking!
    xo
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story! You were very brave to pick up the pink pot with the squirrel still in it. I'm not sure I would have been so brave!

    A friend and I are planning a shopping trip in your area. I can't wait to stop by your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We keep getting little tree frogs in our house, which the cats think is a gift from heaven. I try to rescue them before they have little froggy heart attacks, so the other day I put a plastic bag over my hand and picked up the little visitor. Had he moved, I'm afraid I would have screamed and thrown him against the wall, but he didn't and I put him outside. I told my husband about this and of course he thought the bag thing was idiotic. I love how your squirrels were so obliging about posing!!

    ReplyDelete